Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Taking a Breather...

Happy Canada Day!

Quite honestly, boys and girls, I am sick to death of talking about politics and/or social issues this morning. Folks on the progressive end of the political spectrum are saying such self-evidently foolish things right now, it's better for my mental health if I just find something else to write about for a day or two...

On Memorial Day weekend in 1998, I made my first and (so far) only trip outside of the United States. I was in Detroit that weekend with some of my students for a national speech competition, and we decided it would be fun one night to have dinner in another country.

For those of you who are not aware, Windsor, Ontario is just across the Detroit River from Detroit, Michigan. In an odd quirk of geography, Windsor is directly south of Detroit. We had a lovely dinner (at an Italian restaurant), and also had fun shopping in the duty-free store...

Anyway, the reason I'm fondly recalling that trip is because today is Canada Day.


"Congratulations, eh?"
Indeed. I know what I'll be drinking later this evening to celebrate the occasion...


Mugging

Although I have dozens of Starbucks coffee mugs in my collection, my affection for the humble coffee mug is not limited to just the Starbucks brand. Among some of the other mugs that are in the regular morning rotation...


This mug has a reproduction of Claude Monet's  
The Beach at Saint-Adresse. Chaleur, the company that produces these fine art mugs, usually only has 
a handful of different designs in stock at a given time, so I occasionally have to browse eBay to locate a particular mug I want that has gone "out of production."





And it will hardly come as a shock to regular readers that I have a growing collection of mugs promoting my hero Joe Bonamassa. Insert your own "cup of Joe" jokes here...







My Sense of Humor...

...is a little bit...well, "unusual" seems a bit too mild of a term. But it must not be that weird, as I am always bumping into other people who seem just as off-kilter as I am. One such is the writer and artist Scott Meyer, whose comic strip Basic Instructions always makes me smile...


"Wait a minute! Since when do YOU ever get your hopes...oooooh!"

I knew you'd figure it out sooner or later, old friend...



Say "Hello" to Victoria


It wasn't long after I had taken up playing guitar again that I wanted to add a really good amplifier. It was a tough call, but I ultimately chose to go with the Vox AC15C1.
At the time I bought her, Vox had just introduced some key improvements to the product, and she was much less expensive than the Fenders I was considering. Her name is Victoria, after Queen Victoria (duh).

Unfortunately, even at just 15 watts she is still WAY too loud to play much in my apartment, which is why I acquired the other smaller, less powerful amps I have already written about. Victoria still gets a little use from time to time, but not nearly as much as I'd play her if I had a house instead of an apartment.

She sounds great with all of the ladies in my guitar harem, but in my opinion the sounds I get playing Karla (my Baja Telecaster) through her are pure Heaven. Here's a short clip with Andy Martin from Pro Guitar Shop doing a demo of the AC15C1 just after it was introduced to the market:


"He's really good! When are you going to sound that good?"

When anteaters fly...


Housekeeping

I'm still fiddling with trying to create a couple of archive pages for things like the Thought for the Day and the weekly recommendations that don't automatically attach to a given day's post. It isn't going well. It may be necessary to sacrifice a goat or something to get Blogger to do my bidding. Stay tuned...

It has been awhile since I have mentioned that comments are always welcome. I can't fix the fact that it says "No Comments" at the bottom of each post until someone does post a comment, but I can remind folks that "No Comments" only means there haven't been any yet, NOT that comments are not permitted.



Until Next Time...

In honor of Canada Day, today's send-off is a performance from one of my favorite imports, The Canadian Brass. Here they are performing an arrangement of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor." Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment