Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Lyin' Around

Wait, What???

One of the tell-tale signs of a child caught in a lie is when their story begins to incorporate contradictory details (e.g., "I wasn't even in the room when that lamp fell off the table" alongside "I tried to catch it, but I wasn't fast enough").

At the moment, Hillary Clinton is sounding an awful lot like a child making excuses, too. She tells us on the one hand that there is no need for her to apologize for setting up a private, unsecured email server to conduct official State Department business because that sort of thing is "allowed," but tells us on the other hand that she "wasn't thinking very much" when she decided to set up that server.

"I didn't do anything wrong..."
"...but if I did do something wrong I wasn't paying attention when I did it."

And, of course, we're also getting the usual Clintonian hair-splitting. Hillary keeps repeating the mantra that no emails that were MARKED classified were ever sent or received on her system, even though she probably had advisers tasked with removing those markings and a significant number of those messages are presumed classified (or even Top Secret) regardless of whether they had a formal marking as such. Plus, it is rather difficult to verify her claim anyway because she had the server wiped clean before turning it over to the FBI.

Honestly (all puns are intentional on this blog, always), I can't think of a single other person who could get away with refusing to comply with congressional subpoenas AND tampering with the contents of her server BEFORE surrendering it to the FBI.
If you or I tried that strategy, don't you think we'd already be in jail?

As for her presidential candidacy, we've seen something like this before...


"Oh, the humanity!"

I just hope the burning wreckage lands on Sidney Blumenthal...



The Corporate Mindset

Awhile back on Twitter I posted a jocular message about not being able to drink Tropicana's new Trop50 beverages because the advertising for those products contains a grammatical error, i.e., "50 percent less calories," as opposed to the correct "50 percent fewer calories."

It was just a little throwaway joke on Twitter, but someone at Tropicana saw it, because this morning I received this message:








Um...okay, well, the word "more" doesn't appear anywhere in the ad, so I'm not sure how that "contrast" thingy is supposed to work. But in my reply, I mentioned that pretty much every school kid in America is taught about "fewer" being an antonym of "more," so by "intentionally" using the wrong word Tropicana is basically assuming that its audience is...well, uneducated.

Not a good look for you, Tropicana. And besides, everyone knows that whole thing of using "less" instead of "fewer" started with those Miller Lite beer commercials back in the '70s...


Things That Make Me Sad: Losing Streak Edition

You may have noticed that there hasn't been anything about my beloved Kansas City Royals in the blog for a few days. That's because I don't normally write about them on the day after a loss, and last night's dispiriting 6-2 loss to the Minnesota Twins at Kauffman Stadium was their fourth loss in a row, and their fifth in their last seven games.

The team is still having a fine season, of course, and seems a reasonable bet to win the Central Division, but Manager Ned Yost can't be happy with what he's seen lately: The starting pitching has been bad, the bullpen has been shaky (since they've mostly been behind and using weaker pitchers), and the offense has been somnolent. It has been tough for fans to watch...

"This is some fucking bullshit, man..."
It is, indeed.

The Royals will try to get back to winning ways tonight, with Edinson Volquez (12-7, 3.53 ERA) matching up with Twins starter Kyle Gibson (9-9, 3.84).



We're Friendly Here in the Midwest


"You know nobody gets that movie reference, right?"

The cool people will, and that's what matters to me...



Until Next Time...

Some days coming up with a clever send-off idea is difficult. Not today. This one's for you, Hillary...


3 comments:

  1. I'm trying not to be a feed virgin. I subscribed to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that! And don't worry, I bash Republicans about as often as I bash Hillary...

    If you won't hold it against me that I'm #ReadyForHillaryToGoAway, I won't hold it against you that you're married to a Raiders fan!

    ReplyDelete