Saturday, July 18, 2015

Better Late..?

Rough Week

I don't really feel much like doing this today, but I'm forcing myself to at least put something up...sorry it has taken so long...

I wish I liked to fish, so that when I'm going through rough patches I could get away from everything and spend the day doing nothing at all...


"And that would be different from your usual routine lately...how?"
Touché...


Things That Make Me Sad: Indian Sign Edition

The pitching match-ups for yesterday's doubleheader between my beloved Kansas City Royals and the Chicago White Sox were reversed from what had been initially announced. As it turned out, Chris Young instead of Edinson Volquez matched up in Game 1 versus Jeff Samardzija. The Royals got home runs from Alex Rios and Mike Moustakas, and prevailed 4-2. Young improved his record to 8-5, 3.03 ERA.

In the evening game, Volquez faced long-time Royals nemesis John Danks. It never seems to matter how well or badly Danks is pitching when he faces the Royals (and yesterday he entered the game 4-8 with a 5.30 ERA). He's had the Indian sign on the Royals ever since he came into the league in 2007 (7-0 lifetime coming into this season; he's now 2-1 against them this year, and the Royals have still never beaten him in Chicago). He had it again yesterday, pitching six shutout innings in a game the White Sox won 2-0. Volquez's record fell to 8-5 even though he lowered his ERA to 3.28 with six-and-a-third solid innings.

The series resumes with an afternoon game today. Jeremy Guthrie (7-5, 5.36) will match up with Jose Quintana (4-9, 3.69). Jeremy has won three of his last four decisions, while Quintana is 0-6 with a 4.50 ERA in 14 lifetime starts against the Royals. The pessimist in me doesn't like the looks of this matchup at all...


Wild Kingdom Bed & Breakfast Update

As an experiment, I sat out on the patio this morning with my Nexus 7 and a cup of coffee, just to see if any of my customers would still come if I was sitting right there. It took awhile, but eventually a few finches were bold enough to use both of the feeders. And, amazingly, they didn't fly away when I spoke to them...

I will repeat the experiment tomorrow, only I will bring my Nikon Coolpix S4100 or my Moto X and try to get some pictures...


Until Next Time...

Forty-five years ago this week, Creedence Clearwater Revival released Cosmo's Factory, their fifth studio album. Although I was and am a big fan of the band, I don't agree with most fans and critics that this is CCR's best album (for me, that would be 1969's Green River). Even though information circulated much more slowly in those days, everyone knew the band was squabbling during the Cosmo's Factory recording sessions, and in fact the band started breaking up later in 1970...

On April 11, 2010 former CCR front man John Fogerty appeared at the annual Night of the Proms concert in Antwerp, Belgium. Today's send-off is his performance that night of a favorite of mine from Cosmo's Factory, a song that fits my mood today very well indeed. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment