Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday Potpourri No. 6

Today's post comes with the Standard Sunday Disclaimer: "The post title is using the term 'potpourri' in the second of the two senses listed here. The post may also be rather short, although not necessarily so."

Shark Week!

Yes, it's that time of year again! Thanks to the Discovery Channel, every year we get to spend a week alternately mocking sharks and fearing them. We've been celebrating this event every summer since 1988.

Due to a scheduling glitch, however, we won't get treated to this horror during Shark Week...
Oh hell yes!!!
Fans of the most idiotic franchise in film history will have to wait until July 22 to watch this bomb explode...


Rhymes With...


One of my cooler guitar-related gadgets is my Snark SN-1 clip-on tuner. It attaches to the headstock of whatever guitar I happen to be tuning, and I can tilt the head to whatever angle I need to get a good view.

It is remarkably accurate for such an inexpensive device, even more accurate than the built-in tuners on my acoustic guitars. Highly recommended.





"Admit it...you bought it because you liked the name."
Well, it wasn't the main reason, but it certainly didn't hurt...



Annoying Facebook Shark


Yes, I do plan on exploiting shark jokes for all they're worth this week. For those readers not familiar with the reddit website, or the humor format of image macros more generally, you can visit the Know Your Meme website. Once there, all you have to do is type in the first word or two of a heading here ("Annoying," in this case), and you'll be able to see the non-shark version of whatever image macro meme I'm spoofing (i.e., Annoying Facebook Girl)...



In My Roundhouse

One of the model locomotives in my collection is this Baldwin RF-16, known to railfans as a "Sharknose." It is wearing the livery of the Pennsylvania Railroad, since Pennsy rostered by far the largest number of RF-16s.
Broadway Limited Imports Baldwin RF-16

 

Until Next Time...

Whoever inherits my music collection will notice that I have a fair amount of "guilty pleasure" music in it (stuff I enjoy but am mildly embarrassed to disclose). Today's send-off is the one hit (No. 5 on the U.S. charts, Grammy nomination) of one-hit-wonder band Great White. Not surprisingly, it is a cover of a song by a more talented artist, Ian Hunter. Both the song and the video are pretty cheesy (hence "guilty pleasure"), but then that's a perfect fit for Shark Week. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment