Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July, 2015

Our Nation's Capital

I have had the opportunity to visit Washington, D.C. a few times, but never for as long as I'd like. There is just so much to take in. One of my visits was on the 4th of July, 1988, and I feel safe in saying that you've never seen a fireworks show until you've seen one in Washington, D.C., on the nation's birthday...

The Washington Monument.














The Lincoln Memorial.









The Jefferson Memorial.

















Favorite Foods on the Fourth

Everyone has their favorite foods for 4th of July celebrations. Mine all have their roots in the family picnics of my childhood, and include...




Grilled hot dogs...

I prefer mine with mustard only, no relish, and certainly no ketchup...




Baked beans made with a top layer of bacon...

My mom and I usually made short work of the bacon...and the beans tasted great cold the next day, too...




Deviled eggs...

How addictive were my mom's deviled eggs? She used to make an extra dozen just for me, so other members of the family could have some from the main batch...




Potato salad...

My family is Irish, so potato salad was a given at any family gathering. My mom's recipe included Miracle Whip, sweet pickles, and cheese...





Watermelon. Duh.






"My favorite food at picnics is ants."
And everywhere else, too...



Things That Make Me Happy: Walk-Off Edition

Last night my beloved Kansas City Royals snapped a four-game losing streak with a hard-fought 3-2 win at Kauffman Stadium against the Minnesota Twins. The game ended in what is called "walk-off" fashion nowadays (the home team scores the winning run in the bottom of the 9th, or extra innings). With Lorenzo Cain on third base, Jarrod Dyson hit a ground ball to the first basemen, who naturally threw home. It was a close play, but...


...the replay showed that Lorenzo clearly beat the tag. Even though the Royals have been having a successful season this year, last night was their first "walk-off" win of the season. Game Three of the series with the Twins is tonight, with Joe Blanton (2-1, 3.14) taking the hill for the Royals.


Hometown Fireworks

Speaking of Kauffman Stadium, this spectacular show was filmed there last summer on the 4th of July. Wish I could have been there in person...




Stirring Words

On July 4, 1986 the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy was in New York Harbor as part of a celebration of the centenary of the Statue of Liberty. Standing on the deck of the carrier, with the world-famous symbol of freedom as his backdrop, President Ronald Reagan gave a short but memorable address...



More Fireworks

This fireworks spectacular took place in Mountville, Pennsylvania, in 2011. Mountville is about 45 miles northwest of where my best friend lives, so this one's for him. Not bad for some easterners, I guess...




Until Next Time...

Super Bowl XXXIX was played a little over 10 years ago in Jacksonville, Florida. It might well have been the most patriotic Super Bowl ever played, since it pitted the New England Patriots against the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm not sure if that was the thinking behind the opening ceremony's eschewing the usual pop singer rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner in favor of choirs and musicians from our nation's service academies, but what resulted was one of the most stirring moments in Super Bowl history.

I'm the first to admit that I always get a little choked up whenever I hear the national anthem, but this performance is special. It is endearing to see how even multimillionaire professional athletes and coaches are moved by the power of those voices, singing that song, in that moment. I dare you not to get at least a little choked up watching and listening to it...

 Happy birthday, America!


No comments:

Post a Comment