Monday, March 20, 2017

Sick and All Done In...

...Standin' in the Rain


Man in the Rain at Night, by Ignace Kennis


























"It has been a rough 10 days, but it's going to get better, isn't it?"

Every indication is that it won't, actually...sorry, old friend...


Until Next Time...

One of the lessons I keep having to re-learn is just how cruelly ironic the universe can be sometimes. My current calamitous physical and emotional state is a direct result of my attendance at a show last Thursday in Des Moines by my hero Joe Bonamassa. Had I simply skipped the show and stayed home that night, I would not have gotten sick and I would not have made the mistake which has cost me the most precious thing in my life, a loss which now has me at rock-bottom...

In 1978 the multi-talented Tim Curry released Read My Lips, an album of covers ranging from 
The Beatles to Irving Berlin. One of the songs on the album was his rendition of "Sloe Gin," written 
by Bob Ezrin (the album's producer) and Michael Kamen. The album was not especially successful and before long Curry would decide to focus on his acting career, but good songs have a way of living on.

In 2007 Bonamassa released a cover of the song on his Sloe Gin album, and it quickly became a fan favorite and a staple of Joe's live performances. The rendition from his 2009 Royal Albert Hall concert includes one of his most searing guitar solos, but I also enjoy Joe's softer, more melancholy rendition from his acoustic show recorded at the Vienna Opera House in 2013. The song's lyrics perfectly capture how I'm feeling today...


No comments:

Post a Comment