Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Spring...Back?

If Only...


George Pal's famous creation for The Time Machine (1960)

"You wouldn't actually risk taking a ride in something like that, would you?"
Like most people who have deep regrets, I would certainly think long and hard about doing so, yes...even though it is, at root, a selfish impulse...


Until Next Time...

Songs in my iTunes "Tearjerkers" playlist wind up there for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with the resonance of the lyrics with difficult emotional periods of my life. It helps if the artist is a favorite, too. The versatile singer-actress Kathleen "Bird" York had long been a favorite of mine, in no small part because of her work on the TV series The West Wing, when I moved from St. Joseph to Atlantic in 2004. It was during that stressful period of my life that I first heard the York song that is today's send-off.

"In the Deep," written for the 2005 Best Picture winner Crash, was itself nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song, and York (the song's co-writer) performed it live at that year's Oscars. It was also used in an episode of House, M.D., one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Because I so strongly associated the song with my move to Atlantic, I used it as intermission music for The Late Great Me, my final play production there. The song's lyrics were appropriate to that play's story line, and they also aptly describe my current life circumstances...


No comments:

Post a Comment