Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Abyss Beckons

Communication Breakdown

The past couple of weeks have been horrible for me both physically and emotionally, and the major cause of the deepening crisis has been my abject failure to communicate my thoughts and feelings clearly when it counted the most...

How I imagine my communication skills functioning to help me solve problems...























...versus where they actually get me in critical, life-changing crises.
















"Funny, but he 'actually' lives through that experience."

He doesn't, as a matter of fact...he dies, then is resurrected...that point is made quite explicitly in the book, but gets glossed over in the movie...in any event, what has died in this instance will not be resurrected...hence my present state of anguish...



Until Next Time...

Even for people like me who have read the books a number of times, Gandalf's plunge into the abyss from Durin's Bridge at Khazad-dûm is an undeniably powerful moment in Peter Jackson's 2001 film of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Canadian composer Howard Shore won the Academy Award for Best Original Score for the film, and his use of the London Voices in the aftermath of Gandalf's fall beautifully captures the sense of bereavement and helplessness felt by the remaining members of the Fellowship. As it happens, those are emotions with which I have been grappling for a couple of weeks now...


No comments:

Post a Comment