Saturday, November 7, 2015

Swag

Things That Make Me Happy: Sentimentality Edition

As you might expect, in the wake of my beloved Kansas City Royals becoming 2015 World Series Champions there has been a flowering of capitalism. So far, I have already acquired...

Sports Illustrated commemorative magazines

And from The Kansas City Star's special Dealsaver section devoted to Royals stuff,
I ordered this:

"And you're going to hang it in your bedroom, right?"

So that I'll see it every morning first thing, yes....

I'm sure there will be additional items purchased in the days ahead. One of the drawbacks of being so sentimental, I suppose. At this point, for instance, I can't decide among the various hat options, so I'm still mulling. It is much the same with other articles of clothing, although I am leaning toward one of these:


Since Royals fans waited 30 years between World Championships, I think we're entitled to splurge a bit...


Hoopty Do


Freshman guard K.J. Walton drives to the bucket


My beloved Missouri Tigers began their 2015-16 basketball season last night with a 92-53 exhibition win against Missouri Western State University at Mizzou Arena.




In a reminder of last year's troubled 9-23 campaign, two players (sophomores Namon Wright and D'Angelo Allen) were suspended for the game by coach Kim Anderson due to "violations of athletic department and team policies."

Only six players remain from last year's SEC last-place team, and the Tigers have been picked to finish last again this season, so bright spots might be few and far between.

On the heels of a dispiriting football season, a losing basketball season as well is going to make for a long winter for Tigers fans...


The Unsentimental Heart



From the classic comic strip B.C., by Mason Mastroianni (grandson of the strip's creator, the brilliant Johnny Hart).


Until Next Time...

On November 7, 1922 Alois Maxwell Hirt was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. After taking up the trumpet and performing as Al Hirt, he made a name for himself both as a live performer and as a recording artist. My dad was a big fan of Dixieland jazz, and Hirt was among his favorites, so I heard a lot of his stuff growing up. One of my fondest memories of Super Bowl IV (aside from my beloved Kansas City Chiefs winning,
of course), was the "Battle of the Horns" between Hirt and Doc Severinsen during the pregame festivities (the game was played at Tulane Stadium in Hirt's hometown).

In late 1963, Hirt released an album called Honey in the Horn which eventually climbed to No. 3 on the Billboard 200 album chart. It reached that high largely on the strength of the album's first single, "Java," which got to No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and No. 1 on the Easy Listening chart in 1964. It was Hirt's biggest chart success.

Today's send-off is Al's live performance of his signature hit on The Ed Sullivan Show
on December 15, 1963. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment