Friday, November 27, 2015

Leftovers

Thank Ullr It's Friday!

"Winter is coming! Bracing yourself won't do a damned bit of good!"

Respite

Even though it is a weekday, I am going to eschew my normal fulminating about political and social controversies.

I'm entitled to an extended weekend every now and then, just like anyone else. And it isn't like asshat Donald Trump is going to stop doing asshat things anytime soon. President Obama isn't suddenly going to stop being a sanctimonious bully when people dare to question his policies, either.

Hillary Clinton will continue to beclown herself on the campaign trail, the precious snowflakes will still be trying to stamp out free speech on campuses from sea to shining sea, and the progressives will still be trying to sell their usual pack of lies about citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

"So much stupid, so little time, eh?"

Exactly...the hammerheads will all still be around come Monday...



Wild Kingdom Bed & Breakfast Update

It has been an interesting experience to watch the changes brought on by the changing of the seasons. Many of the species that visited daily all through the spring and summer have left for warmer climes, and the species that have stuck around now have their cold-weather plumage.

"Nice place you've got here. I'll tell my friends!"

I have been told that birds that don't generally care for feeders in the warmer months will show up from time to time now that winter is almost here, and that has started to happen at the B&B.

As I was getting in my car to head to the Hy-Vee on Wednesday afternoon, I glanced up at the feeder and happened to spot a type of bird
I had not seen around before (the species pictured at right).



He was a white-breasted nuthatch, and he was soon joined by another just like him. According to what I have read, these birds prefer to eat insects, but will eat seed when bugs become harder to find.

They're quite handsome, and of course they are more than welcome to visit whenever they like. That's the whole idea...


The Power of Paralanguage


From the delightful webcomic xkcd, by Randall Munroe, which you should read every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, as I do. (And you should also buy Randall's latest book, which happens to be the Weekly Recommendation this week.)


Housekeeping

Just a quick reminder that clicking on highlighted bits of text like this one is highly recommended. A lot of the content I'm trying to share depends on readers checking out at least some of those links.

I also welcome comments here. I got one from an old friend yesterday and it was great! Agree or disagree, I'd love to hear from you!


Until Next Time...

One of the few advantages of my life in its current phase is that I have no need to do "Christmas shopping" in the way that most Americans do. That means I feel absolutely zero desire to go out on Black Friday and do retail combat toe-to-toe with my fellow citizens. Been there, done that, got the emotional scars to prove it!

Instead, I'll be busying myself putting up some snazzy seasonal decorations, including the wreath on my apartment door pictured at right, and some lights for my patio doors.

I'll also be noshing throughout the day on leftovers from yesterday's tasty Thanksgiving feast (it is a sin to waste food, after all), and listening to some soothing music.

My preference when I'm in the mood for "soothing" is piano-based classical music, sonatas and concertos. One of my favorite shorter works of this type is Beethoven's famous Piano Sonata No. 8.



Commonly referred to as Sonata Pathétique, the piece was one of Beethoven's early successes, and helped to establish his reputation as a major composer.

Today's send-off is a performance of the second movement of the sonata by the inimitable Arthur Rubinstein. Enjoy....


No comments:

Post a Comment