Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sunday Potpourri No. 15

Today's post comes with the Standard Sunday Disclaimer: "The post title is using the term 'potpourri' in the second of the two senses listed here. The post may also be rather short, although not necessarily so."

Things That Make Me Happy: Pigskin Edition

My beloved Missouri Tigers kicked off their 2015 season with a comfortable 34-3 victory over the Redhawks of Southeast Missouri State University yesterday afternoon at Faurot Field.

QB Maty Mauk finished 12-22 for 181 yards and two touchdowns.

On top of the Tigers' fine showing, Iowa State and Notre Dame both won, while Kansas and Nebraska both lost. For me, that's about as perfect a college football Saturday as they come.

The Tigers now hit the road for a game against the Arkansas State Red Wolves next Saturday evening. Next Saturday also features the now-annual clash between the Iowa State Cyclones and the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kind of a Big Deal in these parts. The game will be played at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames...



Dreams

Sometimes I dream about winning the Powerball drawing, and giving away almost all of the money. Sometimes I dream about dating Angie Harmon, and seeing the two of us become a Hollywood Power Couple. And sometimes, I dream about...

Damn you, Village Inn!
"Do you ever dream about your arteries hardening?"
Buzz off, killjoy...


Battery Life is Key
























From the delightfully wry comic strip FoxTrot, by Bill Amend, which you should read every Sunday, as I do.



Until Next Time...

When you get to be a certain age, sentimentality manifests itself more often in remembrance than in any other form. I find that nowadays anniversaries mean a lot more to me than they did when I was young, for instance. And when I am celebrating an important anniversary of some sort, as I am today, it is only natural that sentimental music will appeal to me even more than it usually does.

Country artist Brad Paisley has been on my mind a fair amount since last Thursday, when he appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. I wrote about that appearance here. One of my favorite things about Brad is his unabashed sentimentality.

Today's send-off is the video for Brad's 2005 single "When I Get Where I'm Going" (yes, that's Dolly Parton singing along with him), which became his fifth No. 1 hit (it reached the top spot the week of March 4, 2006). I like the song's premise, but it also reminds me that there's no reason not to tell the people we love how much they mean to us while they're still around.

Enjoy...and tell the people who matter in your life how much you love them...don't even think about putting it off until tomorrow...


2 comments:

  1. I made a new virtual friend this weekend. I try to be the glass is a half-full kind of person but I wasn't this weekend and insulted my new virtual friend and he followed me on Twitter anyway! Awesomeness.

    I dislike that my new friend dislikes Hillary Clinton so strongly. But, he is highly intelligent, forgiving and funny. Funny is essential (others need not apply). He and I shall never discuss the subject of Former First Lady Hillary Clinton, however, his rants about her are very funny and why the hell am I saying this in writing.....? But they are worth reading if you are a Hillary disliker. I think I made up a new word. My husband may not forgive you being a #RaiderHater however......

    I have been accused of verbally being "very impatient with people who are not as smart as me." This is funny if you were to read my original Tweet (and the story below) which I deleted after receiving a torrent of well deserved written tongue-lashings. (And not the good kind as some of you are giggling to yourselves right now, perv's, as "Roxanne" is playing on the radio, not kidding). I was having a glass is half-empty day. I used something I saw on a recording of Bill Maher to take over my fingers on my IPhone and don't ever, ever, ever, ever, do that!!!

    Prior to an unfortunate incident wherein an idiot behind the wheel of a car decided to hit me and my Harley without applying HER brakes and that we should not be stopped properly at a round-about, my IQ was 159. She hit me at about 25-30 mph. (I was her 5th citation that year - don't get me started.) My Street Glide flew through the air for my husband to see and declare "she's dead." The Paramedic behind her, on his way to work is forever scarred by watching helplessly and without ability to stop the idiot, watched me fly 4 feet above my Hog and come down and land on my head and shoulder. Before you ask, nope no helmet, (don't bother with insulting me for my stupidity, you can't make me feel worse than I already do). I always thought I'd just die if I was ever hit. But NO, I have to be lucky and survive cancer and now this. I wore a helmet for several years after being guilted into it by my son. "If you won't wear a helmet for me will you wear one for your Grandson?" Dammit - he pulled the Grandson card. So I wore one; but not that day. Why? Well the Saturday before as my husband and I were flying on I-15 about 75-80 mph I lost all my ability to steer my bike. My front tire blew, completely flat. No crash, no laying it down, nothing. I managed to get it off to the side of the road in one piece. Fast forward the following Thursday, my best friend (Harley mechanic,) calls me up at work and says "comes get your GD bike out of my shop." Off work at 5:00 and pull into the driveway at 5:15 and husband (Mike) asks, "You want your helmet?" Me, "Nah, we're coming right back." The Harley Shop was less than a mile from the house. So on the way home and 2 blocks from the house at 5:50 p.m. ......... my life was forever changed, college degree(s), IQ. ..... don't mean squat anymore. I miss riding. Like the air I breath, I miss it.

    Reason for story above, I miss interacting with highly intelligent people but it is difficult for me to do so in writing. I am now 3.5 hours into writing this. Verbally I tell the story much funnier than I can tell it in writing. The disabled can be very funny!! If you don't laugh about things like not being able to wipe your own butt, you're doomed......(My husband is a Saint.) I'm disabled. I can walk. I can wipe my butt again. I can still type somewhat, if you're not in a hurry.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing just fine as far as I'm concerned. The internet brings out the worst in all of us, sometimes, and you left out of your touching story the part when I called you an idiot. You DID start it, though... ;-)

    None of us has so many friends that we don't need any more, and I am grateful to have added to my collection.

    You're welcome to drop by any time, Carol...

    ReplyDelete