Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Change Coming...

Exchange Rate

So the news today includes stories about Bowe Bergdahl being charged with desertion and "misbehavior before the enemy," a rarely-seen charge which at least in theory could result in a death sentence. That seems unlikely, but with any luck Mr. Bergdahl will spend the rest of his life in prison. As well he should.

Bowe Bergdahl in August 2014


The Obama administration released five Taliban fighters in order to obtain Bergdahl's release, and at least some of them are suspected of trying to get back to the job of killing Americans. Who could have possibly seen that coming?

I know the economy has been in the tank for almost all of the Obama presidency, but who knew the exchange rate was that bad? One deserter for five of the enemy?
We got hosed...






Things That Make Me Happy: Quick Start Edition

In the throes of a four-game home losing streak, my beloved Kansas City Royals wasted no time at Kauffman Stadium last night, scoring all the runs they would need off of Twins starter Kyle Gibson before he had recorded a single out. Gibson was very tough thereafter (he pitched a complete game, in fact, allowing only two hits after the 1st inning), but the Royals held on for a 4-2 win that evened the three-game series heading into tonight's finale.

Royals starter Edinson Volquez pitched seven effective innings to improve to 13-7, 3.49 ERA. All-Star Wade Davis pitched a perfect 8th inning, and closer Greg Holland only needed 10 pitches to record his 30th save of the season.

The key hit was Eric Hosmer's bases-loaded double that drove in three runs...

"Bam!"
Kris Medlen (3-1, 4.88 ERA) will start tonight for the Royals, while the Twins will send Mike Pelfrey (6-9, 4.17) to the mound.



Fall Season

Officially we're still a couple of weeks away from the September Equinox (September 23 this year), which marks the first day of Fall. Nevertheless, some familiar signs of the seasonal change are starting to appear already. When I was out for my morning walk today, for instance, I was serenaded by...

"Woot! Honk if you love migration!"
The sound these birds make as they head for wherever it is they spend their winters makes me look forward to the return of Autumn, my favorite season...



Great Minds Think Alike Department

Speaking of my morning constitutional, not long after I started I noticed someone else who had decided to take advantage of the fresh, crisp morning air...

"Pictures are fine, but I don't give autographs. Sorry."

"You know that stuff about rabbits and sex is just a myth, right?"

What is this "sex" you speak of? Drawing a blank, here...



Cat Logic












From the wacky comic strip Get Fuzzy, by Darby Conley, which you should read every day, as I do.



Until Next Time...

My taste in music is eclectic in no small part because of my parents' wide-ranging music collection when I was growing up, and also because of my own life experiences with singing and playing musical instruments. I struggled to emulate those artists my parents enjoyed, and those struggles increased my admiration for anyone who could do such things well, regardless of genre (with the notable exception of opera, for which I have never developed such an appreciation).

When I was 10 years old, my dad brought home a record album that made quite an impression on me. It was Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. I didn't really understand a lot about jazz music at that age, but I did enjoy the way jazz musicians were able to improvise within the basic structure of a song. To this day I still admire that ability to find unique ways to express oneself musically without completely abandoning the song. Wish I could do that...

It was just a couple of years later that Vince made a bigger splash with his compositions for A Charlie Brown Christmas. I was probably the only 12-year-old in my town who had actually heard of the guy whose music everyone was talking about the day after that show premiered. Vince's music is deeply embedded in American culture now, but I can tell you it created quite a sensation 50 years ago.

Today's send-off is Vince performing his Grammy Award-winning composition "Cast Your Fate to the Wind." Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment