Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wet Wednesday

I Will Stop When They Stop

I won't be writing much today, as arthritis is making my hands hurt a bit more than usual (happens often when it rains). I did want to mention that it hasn't escaped my notice that there have been a bunch of free speech stories receiving national attention lately. For the most part, the "free speech" advocates have been successful, but it is disturbing that the subject comes up so often. There are far too many voices these days suggesting that "freedom of speech" needs to be subordinated to other interests and viewpoints. And until the "Shut Up" chorus stops having people formally investigated, forcing them to lose their jobs, and even suggesting they be put in prison simply for expressing an opinion, I intend to keep posting about the subject...

"And that is as it should be."
 Yes, yes it is...

Enough, Already...

Getting really tired of waking up every morning to a scene like this:

The view from my patio, 6:45 AM.
"I don't like rain much myself. I like my ants crunchy, not soggy."
I feel the same way about my breakfast cereal...


Things That Make Me Sad: Ballpark Edition

My beloved Kansas City Royals lost to the Cleveland Indians last night 2-1, their second straight defeat by that score, and their sixth loss in their last seven games. The team has scored a total of just 7 runs in those losses, which is obviously a problem. Starting pitcher Jeremy Guthrie bounced back strongly from his previous start, yielding only two hits. Unfortunately, one of those was a home run that tied the game 1-1 in the 4th inning. Even the remarkable Wade Davis proved to be human, finally yielding a run in his 23rd appearance of the season...
"Getting hosed on that replay challenge didn't help."
No, it certainly didn't...

And tonight, the Royals return to action at Kauffman Stadium facing the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, Corey Kluber, who has only given up 5 earned runs over his last four starts. The odds seem to be against an offensive breakthrough...

Humor IQ Test

If you think this is funny AND you know why you think so, you're probably the sort of person who will like what goes on in here on a daily basis...


"I don't get it. Why would someone want to get a cat back?"
Never mind...


Well, This Would Explain a Lot...



Until Next Time...

There is no single piece of classical music I love more than Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 (aka "Emperor"). I own a dozen different recordings of the piece, each of them unique and special to me. Today won't be the last time this remarkable composition makes an appearance...

In 1962, at the height of Cold War tensions (the so-called "Cuban Missile Crisis" took place later in the year), 28-year-old pianist Van Cliburn traveled to Moscow, site of his first international triumph (the inaugural International Tchaikovsky Competition), and performed  with Kirill Kondrashin and the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra. Here he is playing the concerto's second movement (the adagio). Enjoy...


[To see this historic performance in its entirety, go here.]
[For Cliburn's 1961 recording with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony, go here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment