Saturday, May 30, 2015

Simple Pleasures

As you can probably tell from today's title, there isn't going to be any political/social commentary today (no need to applaud, thanks). Weekends are for other things, and today I feel like sharing a little bit about what I consider the things that help make life worth living...


Yes, old friend, that includes "sleeping in" once in awhile...

There's a Word for This...

In classical Greek philosophy, the concept of eudaimonia is a common topic. This is hardly surprising. Thanks to modern research into biology and cognition, I am convinced that the human desire for happiness is innate, rather than learned. As Steven Pinker noted in his excellent book How the Mind Works:
We are happier when we are healthy, well-fed, comfortable, safe, prosperous, knowledgeable, respected, non-celibate, and loved. Compared to their opposites, these objects of striving are conducive to reproduction. The function of happiness would be to mobilize the mind to seek the keys to Darwinian fitness. When we are unhappy, we work for the things that make us happy; when we are happy, we keep the status quo.
The trick, as Pinker notes, is figuring out how much of this "happiness" we should strive for, and how to determine which of these "objects of striving" are worthy of our efforts. How, in other words, should we live our lives in the pursuit of happiness?

In Nicomachean Ethics, my hero Aristotle does a splendid job of explaining that true happiness requires not only the pursuit of intellectual excellence through the exercise of our capacity to reason, but also putting the products of our reasoning into action...

"You are very kind, sir. You are also a most perceptive pupil."
I try, Ari, I really do try...

A Library I Can Carry Wherever I Go

I love to read. Have always loved to read (when I was in kindergarten, I used my free time to read Classics Illustrated comic books, but when class resumed it was back to coloring apples and bananas with large crayons...we were graded in part on how well we could stay inside the lines of the drawing). One of the technology treasures in my life is my third-generation Amazon Kindle (I got the top-of-the-line version with both WiFi and 3G)...


Among its other virtues, my Kindle helps me keep my reading list organized, which is most useful considering how many different books I might be reading at any given time...




With the snazzy leather cover closed.







There are some things in life that provide joy far in excess of what they cost. This is one of them. I honestly don't know what I'd do without it...








Things That Make Me Happy: Baseball Edition

My beloved Kansas City Royals broke their losing streak at Wrigley Field yesterday, beating the Cubs 8-4. The hitting star was Lorenzo Cain, who broke a 4-4 tie with the game-winning hit (an RBI double) in the 8th inning. It has been a joy to watch Lorenzo blossom into a star since we got him from Milwaukee via trade, and if there is any justice he will play in this year's All-Star Game and win a Gold Glove for his outstanding defense in center field...

"They hit 'em, I catch 'em. Any questions?"

The two teams are back in action tonight at 6:15 PM CST. The Royals will send Yordano Ventura to the hill. The young Royals "ace" started the season looking like a Cy Young Award candidate, but after those first couple of starts he's only had a couple of other good outings. That has Royals fans everywhere keeping a close eye on him, and hoping he gets back in the groove soon...

My Blog, My Rules

I know I said I was going to avoid any mention of political or social issues today, but during my morning reading I learned that a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York has proposed a remarkably stupid piece of legislation (not surprising, considering that she's a Democrat), and has made an even MORE remarkably stupid case for passing it. Rather than comment myself, though, I'll simply recommend that you read this splendid takedown by Charles C.W. Cooke, one of the most entertaining political essayists on the scene right now. It's short, and certainly worth your time and attention...

Things That Make Me Happy: The Birds

No, not the chilling short story by Daphne du Maurier, nor the memorable film version from Alfred Hitchcock. I'm talking about the songbirds that have been hanging around on my patio of late. Based on some glimpses I caught of them flying around, I originally assumed they were house finches, but now I'm pretty sure they're not. I'll be trying to take some close-up photos of them to post here, in the hope that some bird-watcher can help me identify them. In the meantime, their singing is truly one of life's simple pleasures, and a reminder that the best things in life are...well, I'll let the late Bertram Cooper explain:


And no, I still haven't reconciled myself to the fact that Mad Men has ended its remarkable run...


"I'm going out to do that whole 'Circle of Life' thing with some ants..."
Enjoy yourself, old friend. I'll be here when you get back...

Until Next Time...

One of the simple pleasures of Saturday mornings is the fact that the TNT network does a Law and Order marathon that starts around 5:00 AM CST and runs until noon. I became a fan of many of the characters (and actors) who appeared on the show in its 20-year run, but my favorite was always the sardonic Lenny Briscoe, played with brio by the unforgettable Jerry Orbach. I used to enjoy sharing with my drama students the fact that Orbach had a long and distinguished career on the Broadway stage long before he ever donned Detective Briscoe's trenchcoat. Among other notable roles, he was the first El Gallo in the original Off-Broadway production of The Fantasticks. Here he is on the 1982 Tony Awards telecast, using his memorable singing voice on that show's most famous number. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment