Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sunday Potpourri No. 1

Today's title is using the term "potpourri" in the second of the two senses listed here. Sunday posts will tend to be short, too...

Faux Outrage Files

Since it's Sunday, those of us who watch Game of Thrones have another new episode to savor tonight. I don't mind if people don't like the show, and even fans like me have been a little underwhelmed by Season 5 so far, but the reaction some people had to last Sunday's episode drives me bonkers. I can't possibly respond to all of the witless commentary that flooded the interwebz the day after the episode aired, so I have chosen to single out one person whose response best embodied the idiocy. And the winner is...

"I'm every bit as clueless as Hillary, and I can PROVE it!"
...Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill. On the Tuesday after the episode aired, SHE aired her dissatisfaction on Twitter. It is good to know that Senator McCaskill only objects to "gratuitous" rape scenes, as opposed to tasteful rape scenes that are integral to the storytelling. (Note to the Humor-Impaired: The previous sentence is sarcasm.) But as these things go, the scene was not in any way explicit. I suspect that might be the problem. After all, the things we IMAGINE happened to poor Sansa are no doubt more horrific than anything the show could have portrayed. But after four-plus seasons of rape, incest, depravity, and gory deaths, NOW Senator McCaskill is "done" with the show? Seriously?

I can't believe she's that upset. I think all of this faux outrage is an over-reaction to the actual scene, and it wouldn't surprise me if she said what she said because some pollster told her it might be a popular stance...

She probably doesn't like the gratuitous eating of people on The Walking Dead, either. What a ninny...

It's Cookout Season!

For many of us who relish the art of grilling outdoors, Memorial Day weekend is the starter pistol for the summer cookout season. I have been looking forward to this ever since I moved to my new apartment last year. The first step will be deciding on a new grill...




This Weber Performer is the sentimental favorite, since it is an old-school charcoal grill. However, I'm not sure that at my age I'm up to the physical challenges of using and maintaining this type of grill. The product's description makes it sound like my concerns may be unfounded, but it is possible that my charcoal days might be behind me...









If I wind up going with a gas grill, the Weber Spirit E-210 is the frontrunner, and it isn't a close race.








If grilling is of any interest to you whatsoever, there are a couple of places in my adopted hometown of Kansas City that you ought to check out...




I could make an argument that Smoke 'n' Fire is the world's best barbecue store. Must be seen to be believed. The selection of rubs alone will blow your mind. You can shop online, of course...






The other contender for the title is The Kansas City BBQ Store, and it is
a formidable contender at that. It doesn't hurt that this mecca for BBQ enthusiasts is located right next door to a Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que location (formerly known as Oklahoma Joe's)...


Mail order is available, of course. Try the Joe's in-house sauce and french fry seasoning...

If I still lived in Kansas City, these two places would still be getting a disturbing amount of my money...


The Sauce That Is The Boss

Everyone has their own favorites, of course. Here are some of mine. By my sauce(s) ye shall know me...




Blues Hog Original's thick, sweet sauce, one of the best, is made even better with a little hickory smoke...











You might be able to find Maull's Kansas City Style in your local supermarket, but don't be fooled:  It's the real deal, and one of the best sweet-and-smoky sauces out there...





Once in awhile I'm just in the mood for a more southern-style, vinegar-based sauce. American Stockyard Memphis Red is my current favorite of that type. Worth seeking out...










My Roommates...

...do NOT share my enthusiasm for all things barbecue, as you can see...



Until Next Time...

The wonderful actor Gary Sinise and his Lt. Dan Band will be performing in the National Memorial Day Concert in Washington, D.C., tonight to promote the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial. The concert will be televised on PBS, so check your local listings for viewing times. In the meantime, here's Gary playing bass with Gina Gonzalez on her moving song "A Letter Home." Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment