Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day 2015

Lest We Forget

Officially, Memorial Day is for commemorating the men and women who died while serving in the country's armed forces. We must always remember the brave souls of every generation who gave what Abraham Lincoln called "the last full measure of devotion." Requiescat in pace...

Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

Unofficially, people also use Memorial Day as an opportunity to decorate the graves of family members and other loved ones, regardless of whether they served. Some day, people might wish to do as much for me. For those so inclined, I'll be in White Chapel Cemetery in Kansas City, North, alongside my late first wife, whom I lost in 1977...

We'll be together again soon, my beloved...

Speaking of Cemeteries...

When I was growing up in Council Bluffs, Iowa, my friends and I would sometimes go play in Fairview Cemetery, which was close to my neighborhood. We found that it was easy to have fun there without a lot of adults telling us to quiet down! Yes, I was a strange child in many ways...


I was always impressed by the "Black Angel" statue, formally known as The Ruth Ann Dodge Memorial. At that age, 
I was dimly aware of what cemeteries were, but not so aware of the impropriety of playing in them. I didn't know who Ruth Ann Dodge was, but I remember thinking it would be cool if someone built a monument like this for me when the time came. I guess I should give up on that idea...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Patriotic Music

There are lots of patriotic songs that get played on Memorial Day, of course, and all of them are moving, for me. I'm the sort of guy who gets a lump in his throat every time I hear the National Anthem. This is probably my favorite version, by the wonderful Jacqueline Schwab:



And I absolutely cannot listen to Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful" without weeping. I love the way he flips the order of the verses. God bless you, Brother Ray...




The Big Blue Bus Visits the Bronx

My Kansas City Royals are taking on the Yankees today in the first of a three-game series. Jeremy Guthrie will take the hill for the team with the best record in baseball at the moment...

I intend to enjoy a Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Ale during the game...maybe two...and if the game goes extra innings, well...


Things That Make Me Happy: Grilling Edition

Burgers, steaks, ribs, chicken, pork chops...all delicious hot off the grill. But to me, the quintessential grilled meat is the hot dog. I suppose that is a reflection of my own preferences when I was growing up. In any event, here are a couple of my favorites. Give 'em a try the next time you fire up the grill...







Incredibly tasty...and, in a pinch, you can even prepare them in a microwave!







One of my pet peeves with packaged dogs is that they often come six to a package, while buns typically come eight to a package. These are quite delicious, but you'll never convince me that Ball Park isn't fucking with us all by putting seven of them in a package...












Enough said...










I'm a simple man, so for me it's just the bun with a bit of butter or margarine, the dog, and some mustard. I was never one of those folks who wanted to eat something that looked like this...

There is a tasty hot dog somewhere under all of that. Allegedly.

It would take too long to list all of the side dishes I like when grilling. A lot depends on how many people I'm feeding, and what sorts of meats are being prepared. But I am a big fan of...









All of Bush's Grillin' Beans are worth trying, but these are my current favorite...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until Next Time...

Some things don't need any embellishing. I hope these United State Army Band buglers at Arlington National Cemetery, in summer and in winter, move you the way they move me...


No comments:

Post a Comment