Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Cold-ish

One of Those Days



All things considered, it has been
a relatively mild winter to this point, but that isn't going to make today any more pleasant. Today's high temperature of 33 degrees was reached around 8:00 AM, and has been steadily falling ever since.
I wish I didn't need to leave the apartment today, but no such luck.


As for Winter Storm Jupiter, it appears for now as if the worst of it will go south of us here in the Bluffs. It is expected to make Sunday's NFL playoff game for my beloved Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium pretty miserable, though.

"But if the weather's bad, it will be bad for both teams, correct?"

I suppose, but Skip's Steelers are better-equipped to deal with lousy weather...


Wild Kingdom Bed & Breakfast Update


I know that life in the wild is,
as Thomas Hobbes once described it, "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short," but I like to think that the B&B makes things marginally better for the creatures in my particular neighborhood.

Every once in awhile I get a harsh reminder that one can only do so much, though. I found one such
on my patio early this morning...



The little guy pictured above was not injured in any way, and last night's temperature was actually far warmer than it has been for several days, so I console myself with the thought that he most likely simply reached the end of his normal lifespan, and perhaps considered my patio a comforting place to spend his last moments.


I know, old friend...it bums me out too...


Cold Weather Remedy




The combination of cold weather and sadness this morning made me more grateful than usual for my Mr. Coffee Café Barista espresso machine.

A latte (or two) made with Starbucks Espresso Roast, along with some Chestnut Praline syrup, makes for an effective tool to ward off the blues...

"When do you ever NOT have the blues?"

Having a sensitive and compassionate spirit is a curse sometimes, I'll grant you that...



Staff Reduction, 2017 Style



From the indispensable comic strip Dilbert, by Scott Adams, which you should read every day, as I do.


Until Next Time...

As frequently happens, I heard a song being used on a TV show today that I hadn't heard in quite a long while, and it brought back a flood of memories.

In this case, the memories were of my high school years, specifically the end of my 9th grade year. In May of 1968, just as my freshman year was wrapping up, popular vocal ensemble The Mamas & The Papas released what was to be their final album together before a long-rumored breakup.

The Papas & The Mamas was the group's first album that didn't make the Top 10 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart, peaking at No. 15. Fans of the group like me were disappointed with the record, and when the group announced that it had broken up a few months later nobody was especially surprised.

The album's only Top 10 single
was the song I heard on TV today,
a cover of the 1931 pop standard "Dream a Little Dream of Me" which would serve as the jumping- off point for Cass Elliott's career
as a solo artist.

Today's send-off is a remastered version of the original album track that appeared on one of the group's many "greatest hits" compilations, from their YouTube channel. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment