Saturday, October 29, 2016

You've Gotta Deal One Time

Truly Remarkable

One of the key story lines coming into the 2016 World Series was the Cleveland Indians' starting pitching, as many analysts predicted a Cubs victory because the Indians had lost two to their top three starters to injuries late in the season. It certainly hasn't played out that way so far, as the Indians won their second shutout victory in three Series games, beating the Cubs 1-0 in Game Three at Wrigley Field last night.

"It wasn't pretty, but who won the game?"
Indians starter Josh Tomlin only allowed two hits in his 4 2/3 innings, and the Indians bullpen only allowed three baserunners over the game's final 4 1/3 innings.

The vaunted Cubs offense (second in the National League in runs scored on the season) only managed five hits and a single walk. It was the fourth time in their past eight games that they've been shut out.

"Bam!"




The game's only run was driven in by former Royal Coco Crisp, who had a pinch-hit single in the top of the seventh that drove in pinch-runner Michael Martinez.







"So, did Francona decide to start Kluber in Game Four on short rest?"

That's what ESPN is saying...not a huge surprise, I guess, but I would sure try to keep his pitch count down and save him a little for a possible Game Seven...


Gridiron Schedule


My college football Saturday will be a bit light, as two of my rooting interests played last night.

No. 22 Navy went on the road and lost a tough one to a good South Florida team. Navy fell to 5-2.

Air Force had better luck in their road game, snapping a three-game losing streak and beating Fresno State to improve to 5-3.

In other games involving teams I follow, Army is on the road at Wake Forest, Iowa State is at home against Kansas State, Notre Dame is at home against Miami, and Boston College is on the road at North Carolina State.

My best friend Skip's beloved Penn State Nittany Lions, now ranked No. 24 after their shocking upset of then-No. 2 Ohio State last weekend, hit the road to play Purdue.

"I predict a fair amount of cursing today."

You say that every Saturday...


Furry Holiday




Today we celebrate National Cat Day, which my feline roommates are observing in their customary fashion,
by sleeping.



The picture above was taken more than two years ago, but perfectly captures the dynamic. It is their apartment, I just get to live in it...



This year's NCD is a bittersweet one for me, as it is my first since my beloved Roy passed away on July 1.
He was a huge part of my life for more than 18 years.

I miss you every single day, buddy...






I know...don't get me started...


Time for a Recall, Mr. President?


From the insightful pen of Michael Ramirez, whose editorial cartoons you should read often, as I do.


Until Next Time...

My interest in blues and blues-rock music coincided with the start of my 9th grade year, when my social life (or lack thereof) made blues lyrics more meaningful to me. I also really dug the blues and blues-rock style of guitar as well. By the time I got to college
I probably listened to that sort of music more than I did straight-ahead rock. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Joe Bonamassa fan is his love for that music, and his ability to cover that material so marvelously well.

The particular variant known as Texas blues produced a number of artists whose work
I especially enjoyed, including Albert Collins, Freddie King, Johnny Copeland, Johnny Winter, and more recently ZZ Top. Probably the most successful recent proponent of the Texas style was the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. His older brother Jimmie is also a favorite of mine even though he didn't enjoy anywhere near the renown of his younger brother. One of the favorite guitars in my collection is "Lila," my Fender Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Stratocaster.

Jimmie was a founding member of The Fabulous Thunderbirds, one of the most influential Texas-style blues-rock bands of the '80s.


On October 29, 1979 the band released its eponymous debut album, which quickly came to be referred to by the band's fans as Girls Go Wild, due to that phrase's appearance on the album cover.

The album didn't sell well, and the obscure label that issued it even misspelled Vaughan's first name on the album cover, but over time it became a sought-after collector's item among blues fans.



The band didn't have any radio hits early in their career, so I first heard them when
a local FM station started featuring them on their late-night blues-focused program.
It wouldn't be until many years later that I would actually be able to buy any of their early music, but the band's first four albums still get regular play now that I own them.

My favorite track from their debut is their cover of "Marked Deck," which features Jimmie's patented Tex-Mex guitar and frontman Kim Wilson's raw, swaggering vocal.

Today's send-off is the remastered version of the song from the 2001 reissue of the album. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment