Thursday, October 13, 2016

Carrying On

Chillin'


Actual frost on actual pumpkins
Last night the National Weather Service issued the first Freeze Warning of the season for this area, which is one of the traditional signs that fall weather is here to stay.

Autumn is actually my favorite season, and I'm looking forward to this one a great deal. Nice to see frost on the pumpkin again...

"You know that phrase has a naughty phraseology, right?"

Get your mind out of the gutter...


Wild Kingdom Bed & Breakfast Update



Last fall when the weather turned colder I began using a suet cake feeder like the one pictured at left, and it was pretty popular. The suet cakes I would place in there would typically be completely consumed
in about a week or so.

Once the warm weather arrived and the suet began to melt and drip out,
I switched to a seed cake that got very little interest...until recently.




A couple of days ago I noticed that the seed cake was been rapidly depleted, but until yesterday I had never spotted a bird actually eating from it.

The species that I saw on that feeder yesterday afternoon is not one I have seen at the B&B before, and I didn't get a good enough look to make a positive ID. I'm going to put out a fresh seed cake later today in hopes of luring him (and possibly some of his avian buddies) back for a better look...

"I'm pretty sure it was a Bird-brainicus Freeloaderae."

Jealousy is not a good look for you...


Sports-Watching

Yesterday was a tough day for me, sports-wise, as the major league baseball playoffs didn't have a game scheduled and there wasn't any football on, either. I spent a little time watching the St. Louis Blues - Chicago Blackhawks season-opening hockey game (won by the Blues 5-2), but it is still a little early for me to care about hockey just yet.



Today will be MUCH better, since
I will have the decisive Game Five of the NLDS match-up between the Dodgers and the Nationals to enjoy.

The winner will face the Cubs in the NLCS beginning on Saturday. And the ALCS matchup between the Blue Jays and the Indians, which is what I'm really interested in, begins tomorrow in Cleveland.





Not long after the baseball game gets under way tonight I'll also have the Thursday Night Football clash between the Broncos and the Chargers to enjoy.

I'm hoping that the Chargers, who are playing at home, will finally figure out a way to close out a game instead of blowing yet another second half lead. A San Diego win over the !@#$% Broncos would make my whole day...

"There's going to be a lot of cursing tonight, isn't there?"

Only if the teams I'm rooting for don't win...


Dad Winterizes the House



From the droll comic strip Zits, by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, which you should read every day, as I do.



Until Next Time...

One of my favorite things about the TV series Supernatural is how often it uses rock music from the "sweet spot" of my high school and college listening years. The show has featured songs from Blue Öyster Cult, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bad Company, Foreigner, and AC/DC, among others. This "classic rock" element of the show is important enough to series creator Eric Kripke that he threatened to quit the show when its original network The WB objected because of the cost of licensing those songs. Now in its twelfth season, Supernatural simply wouldn't be Supernatural without that music. Yet another instance of when the creative artist was right and the bean-counting suits were wrong...

One of my favorite episodes, the Season 3 finale "No Rest for the Wicked," was shown this morning on TNT. As does every season finale for the series except for Season 1, this episode begins with a song that is more or less the theme song for the series, "Carry On Wayward Son" by the art rock band Kansas. The album which included that single was one of my more obsessive listening favorites for several months as my college years were winding down.

Released in October 1976, Leftoverture became the band's biggest commercial success.
It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart, and received five platinum certifications from RIAA.

"Carry On Wayward Son" was released as a single that December, a radio edit that excised more than two minutes from the album track. That version peaked at No. 11 on
the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart, earning the group a gold record.



The full-length version is now a staple on so-called classic rock radio stations, and is the band's signature song.

Today's send-off is the 2001 remastered version of the original full-length album track, from the band's VEVO channel. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment