Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Potpourri No. 32

Wild Kingdom Bed & Breakfast Update


"I don't know what 'ubiquitous' means."

Now that the warm weather is here to stay, it is also flying insect season, but I am quite fortunate that my patio is kept relatively free of those pests by a variety of bird species, including the ubiquitous barn swallow...





"You're welcome!"



...and the acrobatic purple martin, whose flying abilities are truly jaw-dropping.

There are probably some other flycatchers and swallows that I haven't identified yet (aerial feeders that don't perch are tough), but in any event I am grateful for their efforts.








Cruise Update


Today my best friend Skip and his wife Elaine spent the day in historic Dublin, Ireland...























I'd give anything to be able to stroll the city's streets with them and do some shopping...






















"It looks positively charming!"

Doesn't it, though?


Teenage Catch-22



From the wry comic strip Zits, by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, which you should read every day, as I do.


Housekeeping

Just one of my periodic reminders to click on at least some of the embedded links in these posts (like this one, for instance). They're designed to enhance the post's content in a variety of ways, so you're missing out on some cool stuff if you don't click at least once in awhile.

I also wanted to mention that comments are always welcome. Agree, disagree, or just to share something, I'd love to hear from you!

"Me too!"


Until Next Time...

On June 26, 1934 Robert David Grusin was born in Littleton, Colorado. The child of parents who were themselves professional musicians, Dave Grusin earned a degree in music at the University of Colorado and went on to an award-winning career as a pianist, composer, arranger, and producer.


I first encountered Grusin's music through his theme for the TV series St. Elsewhere in the early '80s.
I really enjoyed the show, and in 1984 I purchased Grusin's album Night-Lines because that song was included (it wasn't available anywhere else). I found the rest of the music just as captivating at the TV show theme, and over the years I have acquired several other Grusin albums. I have never been the least bit disappointed in any of those recordings.


In his career Grusin received an Academy Award for Best Score (in 1988, for  
The Milagro Beanfield War) and seven additional Oscar nominations. He has received 10 Grammy Awards for his music.

Today's send-off is the album version of the St. Elsewhere theme, still as captivating as it was when I first heard it more than 30 years ago. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment