Saturday, June 11, 2016

Satur-dull

My Stalker


Like most people using the Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system on a personal computer, I have been subjected to a relentless campaign of nagging intended to convince me to "upgrade" my system to Windows 10.


Having had many unpleasant previous experiences with Microsoft and its sneaky ways,
I have not yet been persuaded that there is anything to be gained from this upgrade.
I am not alone in this.

"But...but...it's FREE and everything!"

Like they've never tried THAT tactic before...


Trainspotting



Every once in awhile when I head over to downtown Council Bluffs, I notice something other than the usual BNSF or Iowa Interstate locomotives sitting in the BNSF yard waiting for a consist to be put together.




Just the other day I spotted a pair of Kansas City Southern EMD SD70ACe engines doing just that.

"Let me guess: Now you're shopping for models in KCS livery?"

It is possible that I am, yes...what's your point?



Historic



From the pen of Henry Payne, whose editorial cartoons you should read often, as I do.


Until Next Time...

This week's Video Recommendation is Risen, the Kevin Reynolds film telling the story
of the Resurrection from the point of view of a Roman soldier charged with finding the missing body of Jesus.

Original 2016 "one sheet" poster


One of the pleasures of the film is its evocative score by Roque Baños (which was itself a weekly Music Recommendation the week of February 29).

Although Baños's music for the film has its necessarily "epic" elements, he also displays an engaging emotional sensitivity. The music supports the storytelling, it doesn't distract from it or try to replace it, as so many bombastic film scores do these days.

Baños is a relatively fresh face, and I look forward to hearing his future efforts.
Today's send-off is the film's Main Title. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment