Thursday, December 3, 2015

Mixed Emotions

Evil Redux

I have struggled to find words today. In San Bernardino, California yesterday there
was an incident in which a Muslim man and a woman who may have been his spouse murdered 14 people and wounded several more at a Christmas party being held at
a center offering services to people with developmental disabilities.

In an announcement that he was clearly reluctant to make, President Obama said that the attack might have been terrorism, and the FBI has taken over the investigation because the early evidence seems to indicate that it was.

As I've said, it has been a struggle to find words this morning. I pray for the victims and their loved ones, even though progressive assholes have decided to mock such prayer.

Beyond that, I only have one thing to say to:

You can all just fuck right off...

"Back to the middle finger stuff again? So rude..."

I was provoked...


Feast Day


St. Francis Xavier



Today is the feast day of St. Francis Xavier, who died on December 3, 1552.

Francis was one of the six young followers of St. Ignatius Loyola who joined him in founding the Society of Jesus, which was formally approved by Pope Paul III in 1540.

Because of his devotion to missionary work, St. Francis Xavier is a popular namesake for schools and churches in the United States. When I was growing up in Council Bluffs, my family attended St. Francis Xavier Church. (I also began my schooling at St. Joseph's, across the street, though by the time I began attending the school had become coed. Both the church and school were closed in the early 1970s.)




One of the most beautiful churches in the entire state is the Basilica of St. Francis Xavier in Dyersville.
Basilica exterior
Basilica interior







































Facts Remain Stubborn Things



From the pen of Mike Ramirez, whose editorial cartoons you should read often, as I do.



Until Next Time...

Many of my favorite Christmas songs are favorites because I have fond memories of learning them and singing them in my Catholic elementary school choirs. That is certainly the case with "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," one of the first Christmas hymns I was ever taught (it is a relatively simple song for young children to master).

With lyrics that date back to the 18th century and music adapted by William H. Cummings from a Felix Mendelssohn cantata, it remains one of the most popular overtly religious Christmas songs to this day. There is a reason the original "A Charlie Brown Christmas" TV special ends with the kids singing this particular carol.

Today's send-off is a stirring live performance of the hymn by Celtic Woman, recorded at The Helix in Dublin, Ireland in 2004. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment