Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Day 2016

Soggy Start




When I left for 8:00 AM Christmas Mass this morning it was still dark outside, but it had already started to rain, as forecast...





...and it was still raining steadily
by the time I got home. I suppose there's nothing that says "Iowa Weather" more than having
a thunderstorm on Christmas Day, but that's what we got.



"Could have been a LOT worse, you know."

Oh, I know...believe me, I'm grateful for the warmer temperatures, and Rose Red needed a bath anyway...


Christmas Morning





Yesterday evening at sunset the Advent season ended, and Christmastide began.

Today we light all of the candles in our wreath, including the white Christ Candle in the center, symbolizing that the Son of God has been born and is now among us.








Christmas Mass

As usual, the altar society ladies at St. Peter's did a marvelous job with the Christmas decorations...
























Christmas Candy



By tradition, as soon as I return home after Christmas Mass, I allow myself my first piece of Christmas candy.

This year I didn't stock up as much as in years past, but I do have a few pieces of Russell Stover dark chocolate singles (a little taste of Kansas City), as well as a box of Haviland Thin Mints with dark chocolate and raspberry.

I left the candy on the table just inside my apartment door, so I was able to enjoy my first treat as I was hanging up my coat...







"Well it's not chocolate-covered ants, but it looks pretty good."

It is indeed, old friend...candy always tastes better on Christmas morning somehow...


Really, POTUS, You Shouldn't Have



From the insightful pen of Michael Ramirez, whose editorial cartoons you should read often, as I do.


Until Next Time...

One of the most popular songs this time of year, especially on Christmas morning, is "Joy To the World," reputedly the most-published hymn in North America. As we do every year, at St. Peter's this morning we sang it at 8:00 AM Christmas Mass.

The lyrics were originally written
in the early 18th century by Isaac Watts, and the now-familiar musical setting (frequently mis-attributed to Handel) was added in the early 19th century.

Although it has been recorded hundreds of times by artists in every musical genre, "Joy To the World"
is one of those songs that just never sound quite right to me unless sung by a choral ensemble or choir.

Today's send-off is a stirring performance of the hymn by the music department at George Fox University, filmed live at their annual Christmas concert in 2012. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment