Thursday, January 21, 2016

Slippin' and Slidin'

Give 'Em an Inch

One of the more amusing things about life in the midwest is watching the reaction of people on the east coast to weather that wouldn't cause us to bat an eye here in flyover country. The near-hysterical news coverage of a 1-inch snowfall in Washington, D.C. yesterday is a case in point.


Take a gander at the "blizzard conditions" that actually had people abandoning their cars on the roadways.

Seriously, folks?




In my part of the country, this kind of thing wouldn't even make people late for work, much less cause hours-long traffic jams.

You crack us up, east coast...













"They do tend to over-react to such things, don't they?"

Just a little bit, yeah...



Desperation


"Trust me, we'd be better off with the lifelong progressive Democrat."



Some folks are so concerned about the increasing support for Texas Senator Ted Cruz that they've resorted to desperate tactics to undermine him.





It certainly doesn't get much more desperate than this New York Times piece quoting Bob Dole as saying Cruz would be a disaster for the Republican party should it choose him as its presidential nominee.

Of course, since Dole himself delivered one of the most cataclysmic defeats in GOP history, he's an expert on electoral disasters.

On the other hand, how much credibility can we assign to someone who also predicted that Ronald Reagan would doom the Republican Party? I guess those two Reagan landslides were flukes, eh Bob?

[Disclaimer: I have donated to Senator Cruz's campaign, as I have to the campaigns of Carly Fiorina and Marco Rubio.]



Trump the Biblical Expert



From the pen of Chip Bok, whose editorial cartoons you should read often, as I do.



Until Next Time...

Like most people, I have some favorite pieces of music that come with a story.

Original 1997 album cover

In the case of Kol Simcha's haunting "Lullaby for Clarinet, Piano, and Strings," it is a simple story: I was directing a production of Cynthia Mercati's play To See The Stars in 2003, and the script called for klezmer music.

I wasn't familiar with that style, but my research led me to the band's Klezmer Soul album, and I wound up using several of its songs as incidental music during the show.



"Lullaby..." was the music I played as the lights teased that the show was about to begin.

I have actually directed productions of To See The Stars at two different schools
(Bishop LeBlond and Atlantic). Listening to this song brings back fond memories of both productions, and of the students who performed so well for me. It reminds me of that sense of anticipation as the lights fade to black just before the opening curtain...

Today's send-off is a beautiful piece of music that manages to be both melancholy and uplifting at the same time. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment